4/15/2008

I Shook Hands With Johnny Depp!!!

Ok this is totally non-sports related, but totally kick-ass!

Johnny Depp and Christian Bale are starring in a new movie, Public Enemies. They are filming in the downtown of my hometown which is awesome. So yesterday I went downtown to check out the set. I didn't realize they would be filming that day but I saw a crowd of people and went over. (***SPOILER ALERT***)They said they just shot a scene in which there was a gun shootout by the Walgreen Drug Store(***ok not so much, but now I have something to watch for!***).

I waited to see if they would continue filming but rumors spread that they were done for the night. It was cold, the sun was going down, and I was wearing shorts so I began to walk around to check out more of the set. I ended up stopping near our library, and watched people walk by with equipment used for filming and taking it back to the trailers. One lady came by and asked me if she could cross the street. I did not think so because I thought it was part of the set, but that the worst that could happen was that some very large security man would tackle her to the ground but it's ok because it's a film set so they have the best people to deal with her injuries.

She then informed me that if i walked about a half-block down the other direction Johnny Depp was shaking hands and actually shook hers. I was shocked because I never expected to see him since I just was there to see the set. I couldn't figure out where he was at because there were quite a few people lined up along the street blocking the way. Luckily I'm tall and there was a section of the crowd with about 30 or 40 cameras in the air. I knew he was going down the line so I found a thinner spot of people and caught a glimpse of him in his awesome hat and sunglasses, and even the most expensive coat I'd ever seen anyone wear.

As he walked by, I was positioned as such that I could only stick out my left hand to shake his. This turned out to be beneficial for me, however, because he went in right handed and that doesn't work. Therefore, he brought his left hand up as well and shook mine with BOTH hands! That was pretty exciting in itself.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera, a pen, or anything for him to autograph since it was unplanned, and I think I was too starstruck to say anything though if I did, apparantly he was responding. People seemed very well-behaved much to my surprise, however, it seems like a one time deal, like he won't do it again, because now that he has once, people will flock there the next time they film. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

As I mentioned, I did not have a camera, however many people did. A few were smart enough to upload their pictures to public photo sites so I could steal them and post them uncredited below:

Lady's and Gentlemen, Mr. Johnny Depp


Don't be afraid of the guy in shades, oh no


Before: The Exclusive Company


After: Walgreen Drugs


Before: New Moon Cafe


After: Skalsa Restaurant

The Sheboygan Press has a nice little video of the Depp appearance. I am not in it, but I am somewhere in that line of people!

No comments: